Ramsey B. Prather is an attorney at Butler Wooten & Peak LLP. Ramsey represents clients in a variety of practice areas, including False Claims Act (whistleblower) litigation, business torts, and personal injury matters throughout Georgia and in other states. In August 2019, Ramsey was part of the BWP trial team that secured a record-setting $280 million jury verdict in a wrongful death trucking case. Ramsey was recognized as a 2019 Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Ramsey regularly speaks and writes on timely issues relevant to his practice. He is co-chair of the Georgia ICLE False Claims Act Summit, an annual seminar that brings together leading lawyers from across the FCA spectrum to share insights about these important cases. In October 2019, he will be speaking at the Taxpayers Against Fraud Annual Conference regarding the impact of social media on whistleblower cases.
Ramsey is involved in the Georgia Bar and other community organizations. He is a member of the Georgia Bar’s Business Court and Bench & Bar Committees. Ramsey also serves on the Board of Directors of Georgia Lawyers for the Arts.
Before joining Butler Wooten & Peak, Ramsey practiced law for several years in King & Spalding LLP’s healthcare litigation group, where he represented healthcare entities–such as hospital systems, skilled nursing facilities, and long term care pharmacies–in False Claims Act lawsuits, civil litigation proceedings, administrative matters, and government investigations.
Ramsey graduated from Tulane University Law School, magna cum laude, in 2010. While in law school, Ramsey served as editor-in-chief of the Tulane Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif.
Following law school, Ramsey served as a law clerk to the Honorable William H. Pryor Jr. on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and to the Honorable Lance M. Africk on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Healthcare Fraud Enforcement in 2015: Where Are We Today, And Where Are We Going? (with Michael E. Paulhus and Linda Lin), American Health Lawyers Association, Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, 2015
- Primer on the False Claims Act: The Government’s Key Weapon in Combatting Fraud (with Michael E. Paulhus and Jennifer S. Lewin), American Health Lawyers Association, Fundamentals of Health Law, 2014
- Unlevel Playing Field: What Can You Do When Your Competitor is Gaining an Illegal Advantage?, King & Spalding LLP
Honors and Awards
- King & Spalding Pro Bono Service Award, 2012 – 2015
- Tulane 34 Award, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taxpayers Against Fraud, Member, 2016 – Present
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2016 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- King & Spalding LLP, Associate, 2012 – 2016
- Hon. William H. Pryor Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Law Clerk, 2011 – 2012
Pro Bono Activities
- Representation of Asylum Seekers, 2012 – 2015