Tedra L. Cannella has a practice that focuses on products liability, breach of fiduciary duty, business torts, wrongful death, and trucking and automobile wrecks. She has helped her clients reach settlements and obtain verdicts totaling over $70 million.
Tedra was inspired to join the team of Atlanta personal injury attorneys at Butler Wooten & Peak LLP because she experienced first-hand the difficult challenges that personal injuries can bring for individuals and their families. While pursing her undergraduate degree at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, Tedra suffered serious burns in a house fire. Motivated by her subsequent volunteer work with young children who had survived serious burns, Tedra dedicated two years of service to Americorps after college. Through Americorps, Tedra worked at Legal Aid of Western Missouri and Atlanta Legal Aid on behalf of low-income individuals.
Tedra attended law school at the University of Georgia on scholarship, graduating magna cum laude. She held one of the three top positions on the Executive Board of the Georgia Law Review. She was also active in the Law School’s moot court program. In her second year, she participated in the competitive Intrastate Moot Court Competition, in which she and her team swept every award at the competition, including Best Oralist, Best Brief, and Best Team. These successes won her a spot on the Law School’s prestigious National Team during her third year. She also held leadership positions in the Student Bar Association during all three years of law school.
After law school, clerked for the Honorable Hugh Lawson, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court in the Middle District of Georgia.
Tedra volunteers her time for the Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation in addition to several bar associations. She is on the board of the Georgia Association of Women Lawyers and the American Constitution Society. She is also very active in the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association. Tedra is honored have been named to the Georgia listing of Super Lawyers Rising Stars, an honor reserved for only 2.5% of Georgia lawyers. Ms. Cannella is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, the leading national legal rating agency.
- Bankruptcy Abuse Creation Act: Curing the Unintended Consequences of Bankruptcy Reform, 40 Ga. L. Rev. 1245, 2006
- Trial Practice and Procedure (Co-Author), 61 Mercer L. Rev. 363, 2009
- Attorneys’ Fees in Clear Liability Cases, The Verdict, Spring, 2010
- Handling Claims for Injuries Suffered During Pregnancy, The Verdict, Summer, 2010
- Obtaining Insurance Information from Uncooperative Insurers, The Verdict, Fall, 2010
- Is Defendant Driver History Admissible, The Verdict, Summer, 2011
- Trial Practice and Procedure (Co-Author), 63 Mercer L. Rev. 359 , 2011
- Trial Practice &a Procedure, (Co-Author), 67 Mercer L. Rev. 257, 2015
- Black v. USF Holland, Fulton County Superior Court – Obtained confidential settlement in disputed liability tractor-trailer wreck
- Miller v. Langdale, Lowndes County Superior Court – Obtained reversal of summary judgment in the Court of Appeals and successfully defeated Petition for Certiorari in the Georgia Supreme Court
- Arnold v. Lowndes County, Lowndes County Superior Court – Successfully defended motion to dismiss and motion for summary judgment on issues of sovereign immunity
- Perlotte v. Harrison, Oglethorpe County Superior Court – Obtained settlement within one week of filing case
- Wheeler v. Ford, Clayton County State Court – Member of the trial team that obtained $17 million verdict
- ICLE Expertise in Plaintiffs Personal Injury Law: Recognizing and Investigating Product Liability Claims (January 2014)
- GTLA Annual Workshop: Subsequent Remedial Measures Under the New Evidence Code (May 2013)
- Atlanta Bar Association: How and When to Hire a Contract Lawyer (February 2013)
- GTLA Holiday Seminar: Subsequent Remedial Measures Under the New Evidence Code (December 2012)
- Atlanta Bar Association: Networking for Solo and Small Firm Practitioners (October 2012)
- Atlanta Bar Association: Developing a Niche Practice (November 2012)
- GTLA Spring Seminar: Pretrial Motions (March 2012)
Honors and Awards
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2018
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2017
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2015
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, Member, 2007 – Present
- Atlanta Bar Association, 2009 – Present
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Membership Committee, Amicus Committee, GTLA LEAD Class of 2013
- Lumpkin Inn of Court, Barrister, 2011 – 2013
- American Constitution Society, Executive Board Member, 2009 – Present
- Georgia Association of Women Lawyers, Mentoring Committee, Chairperson; Judicial Applications Review Committee
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Hugh Lawson, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia, Law Clerk, 2007 – 2008