Rory A. Weeks is an associate at Butler Wooten & Peak LLP and works in a variety of practice areas.
Rory was born in North Carolina, but he does not remember living there because he moved to Florida at age two. At age twelve, he moved to Georgia and then moved again two years later—this time to Alabama. After graduating from high school, Rory moved back to Georgia. Eventually making his way to Athens, Rory attended the University of Georgia and earned three degrees: a bachelor’s and master’s degree in philosophy as well as a law degree.
Rory graduated magna cum laude from the University of Georgia School of Law. During law school, he served as the editor-in-chief of the Georgia Law Review. He was an active moot court participant: he received the Kerry Harike Joedeke Memorial Award for Excellence (recognizing an outstanding moot court board member); he was a national semifinalist at the 2012 ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition; and he was a semifinalist at the Talmadge Moot Court Competition. He was also the finalist in the J. Ralph Beaird First Year Closing Argument Competition. As a third-year law student, Rory participated in the law school’s appellate litigation clinic, representing indigent prisoners before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and Eleventh Circuits. Rory graduated in the top 3% of his law class and was selected for the Order of the Coif.
After law school, Rory clerked for the Honorable Joel F. Dubina on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and Timothy C. Batten, Sr. on the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. He is an active member of the State Bar of Georgia, American Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, the Atlanta Bar Association, and the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association.
Rory lives in Suwanee with his wife and their two children.
- The First Amendment, Public School Students, and the Need for Clear Limits on School Officials’ Authority over Off-Campus Student Speech, 46 Ga. L. Rev. 1157 (2012)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, 2014 – Present
- Federal Bar Association, 2015 – Present
- Atlanta Bar Association, 2015 – Present
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, 2015 – Present
- Barrister, Joseph Henry Lumpkin Inn of Court, 2017–2019
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Joel F. Dubina, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Law Clerk, 2014 – 2015
- Hon. Timothy C. Batten, Sr., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Law Clerk, 2013 – 2014